Idalou VFD History
The Idalou Volunteer Fire Department began in 1927. The department’s original location was in a barn under the water tower on Locust Street. In 1987 a new station was built and is still currently used. At one time the only equipment that the station had was a used Jeep and a used hose truck. Through the years there have been many trucks converted to fight fires. We now have 2 Class A pumpers, 3 Grass Trucks, 1 Rescue Truck, 1 Command Unit, and 1 Converted Tanker. The Volunteer Fire Department has worked hard to obtain the equipment and were all purchased through fundraisers held by the Fire Department. Currently, we have 23 firemen on the roster; but we can always use more! At times we do not have enough man power to fight in the daytime. Click here to see the requirements to becoming an Idalou Fire Department Volunteer.